Alyssa

Alyssa
I'm a crazy 23-year-old, graduating with a major in Sociology and minor in Marriage and Family Studies from Brigham Young University--Idaho in April 2014. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, California and am the second to youngest of seven children. I am obsessed with Cheerios and bananas. An apple and Austin a day makes me a happier person.

Austin

Austin
He's a studly 24-year-old. He works full-time as Lead Tech at Service Master in San Jose, California. He loves sports, has played rugby, and some of his favorite teams are the Atlanta Braves and the Dallas Cowboys. He loves camping and hunting. He also knows how to make a mean bacon covered turkey. He is from St. George, Utah, and the oldest of five chidren. And look how cute he is!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

dating and an "i love you."

Getting a boyfriend was definitely not on my to-do list while on my break from school. Like I said previously, my only plans was to look as heinous as possible by wearing pajamas and not doing my hair or makeup. Then Austin had to show up and be all cute and great and change my plans! But I guess I couldn't complain, I sorta liked the kid ;)
We knew when we decided to be in a relationship our time together in person would be limited. We now had less than a month to go on dates and spend time together. So we took advantage of the little time we had and spent nearly every day together. We got to know each other and learned little things about each other. I learned that this boy who I thought I'd have nothing in common with was more similar to me than I'd thought. I learned that I cared so much about him. I cared about his feelings. His hopes. His goals. His different concerns. His desires. I just cared about him. And he cared about me. That was most apparent in our time together.
We got to go on dates. We even went to a Bacon Festival. Yes. Apparently they make those. Yes. Apparently I liked him enough to go to a Bacon Festival. We got to go pee-wee golfing. He even let me cheat! That's how I knew he was one I wanted to keep around. Because if anyone knows me, they know I like to win. And I have no shame in admitting I'll cheat my way to victory. I do it with pride. But I don't think he minded it at all... because apparently I'd give him lots of kisses while I'd be cheating in our game. Win-win, yeah?
We got to hang out with others from the YSA ward, I grew to care about them a lot. We got to spend time with my family, where I got to see how he interacted with my siblings and my parents. We got to go car shopping, too! Ok. He went car shopping. And I came along. I think my job was to say which car I thought was cute or not. He ended up getting one, and that same day we made a trip to Gilroy. Way to make those miles! I don't know what it's called. But it's a black one. And according to the license plate, it's a Dodge. Look how cute he is standing next to it though!
One of my favorite parts of the summer was going to my backyard and we got to talk on the swing. That swing will now always be one of my favorite spots on earth. We'd talk for hours out there under the stars (or as much stars as one can see while living in the city). I can't tell you how many laughs we got to share with each other on my backyard patio. I'm pretty sure it's a possibility I cried back there too. I'd never been more open with anyone in my life. I liked this boy a lot.
One of the most memorable nights during our time together took outside of my house in his car when he was dropping me off after one of the group dates we went on. Before you start getting any weird or bad ideas, stop! We were just sitting in the car talking! Dirty minded people! I'm an angel!
The song "I Got You" by Jack Johnson was playing on the radio. I could tell he had something to say. Okay, fine, I guess I only knew because he said he had something to say, but didn't want to say it. Coward ;) So I did what any girl would do, and bug the heck out of him until he'd tell me! I learned a trick, I'd touch his face while saying "Say it" until he'd finally cave and tell me what he was thinking, and then some!
(Oh the glory days, that was when I was in my prime. I don't have the same effect anymore!)
As I was saying: So he looks at me and I'm pretty sure I got butterflies. He secretly had that effect on me. He'd make me feel all nervous inside, no matter how brave I'd pretend to be. I could tell he was still a little hesitant to tell me whatever was on his mind, but that didn't stop him. Looking at me he says, "So I called my mom tonight and told her about you." This only made me more nervous! What did he tell her about me? What did she think about me? What if he told her things about me and she thought I was weird? Because lets be honest, I'm so crazy! And again, what did he tell her about me!? So I tell him to tell me what he told her. He answers, "I told her I'm pretty sure I met the girl I'm going to marry."
Though we had hypothetically talked about, joked about how it could be a possibility that maybe, possibly we could see ourselves marrying each other someday, the only response I could very loudly come up with was: "Oh really? What!? We haven't even said 'I love you' yet!"
I think Austin embarrassingly laughed and said, "Well I don't want to be that guy!" I was speechless though. We just looked at each other in that dark car and simply stared. I don't think it was very long, but as cliché as it may be, it felt like time stood still. I couldn't believe what was happening. I couldn't believe this was real life. But I felt it too. Since we decided dating, I had the feeling I'd probably marry this boy someday. Very quietly and calmly, Austin said, "I love you."
Panicking! But so excited! And so happy! But still so nervous! Awkwardly and so in character of myself, I answer, "I maybe, sorta, kinda, possibly, might, maybe, kinda, possibly, sorta love you too." Coolly, he responds, "Not kinda, sorta, maybe... I love you." After breathing, I was easily able to tell him I loved him back.
Want to know a secret? I already knew I loved him. That night I ran into my house, woke up my mom, and told her I was pretty sure I was going to marry Austin. She probably thought I was crazy... and I wouldn't blame her if she did. I'm not sure if this was part of my journal entry from that night, or from before, but it's a classic Alyssa journal entry. And it was about this boy I never planned on meeting :)
The rest of my stay at home flew by and escaped me completely. We had fun though.
Going back to school was hard! Here I was with this incredible guy I only had a short time with, then it was like "BYEEE." But here we were, about to embark on our long distance relationship. Maybe I'll talk about that some other time. Because lets be real... long distance relationships needs its own post. Amen? I'll agree with myself with an AMEN. Since me being in Idaho and him home in California, our dates have turned into Skype dates and phone dates. And you know what? I love every minute I get to spend talking to this boy. I love getting to see him even through a webcam and terrible internet connection. Because the truth is, I love any chance I get to talk to Austin. I love continuing getting to know him. I love that I keep falling more in love with him. I love that he'd be there for me without physically being with me. I could call crying, stressed, happy, excited, bored, or whatever emotion... And sometimes these different emotions happened within one day! And he was there for me.
PS, look how photogenic we are!
&remember how he gave me butterflies? He still does. I still get excited when I see an incoming call from my Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment